My Great Aunties 90th Birthday Cake

I know I haven't posted in about week but I've been really busy because my great auntie turned 90 on Monday the 10th of September and I had a lot of planning to do that week. First off I had to start planning and making her a very special cake - I know I could have done that earlier - but I had to do it all in a day and half after I had to work night shifts at the beginning of the week.

The cake was actually a lot easier to make than my sisters although I did have a few problems with this cake, mainly due to not enough time. First off I didn't buy enough almonds to make marzipan, 2nd I forgot to buy metallic red food paint which I can't buy locally, 3rd just as I was icing on happy birthday the icing bag burst so I had to go and prepare another one which split before I even got the icing in it, so instead I opted to use an icing pen I'd bought but never used yet, and what happened the icing pen wouldn't stop leaking icing. Now that was no icing pen and no more icing bags left, in the end I just had to use the burst bag but be very quick and get covered in icing. That's why the writing isn't so neat at the bottom two lines.


Here is my finished cake

 
Everything you see on the cake had been all handmade.
 
 
The cake is a two tier vanilla sponge cake, with a thin layer of buttercream covered with a layer of marzipan and sugarpaste. The happy birthday was written with lilac coloured royal icing, while the flowers and leafs are made from sugarpaste and covered with a little edible glitter.
 
 
The cake even managed to survive the trip (especially with my bad luck) and the only damage done was the E at the bottom, where a little bit of the icing had fallen off. Thankfully she loved the cake, even got a little bit tearful. I don't think she was expecting it, as we took her on a lovely long weekend trip to Inverness which was all a surprise. I will make a post about her surprise trip through to Inverness including some pictures I managed to get.....x

Comments

Popular Posts